Garmin shows Error Message “There was an error communicating with your GPS” in MapSource when your Garmin application is unable to communicate with your device. You might also get this error message stating “The Garmin device cannot program the requested memory region”.
Garmin Error Message: There was an error communicating with your GPS error
For resolving the error, you are required to follow the troubleshooting steps given below.
- First of all, close the Garmin MapSource application if running.
- Then, you have to download the Garmin MapSource application on your device. You will find the link for downloading the setup file on the official website of Garmin.
- After downloading, double-click the setup file.
- If prompted by the User Account Control prompt, then, you have to click the “Yes” tab. This is required to allow the application to make the desired changes.
- On the welcome screen of the installer, click the “Next” tab.
- Now, accept the terms and conditions of Garmin by clicking the checkbox. For this, you first have to read the document carefully.
- Then, click the “Next” button.
- Finally, tap “Done”.
Clean the contacts of cradle and device.
You are required to follow this step in case your device is connected to the printer with the cradle cable. Then, you have to take the cable and clean their contacts.
Try using a different USB cable.
Garmin suggests you to use the Garmin-branded USB cable only. You must use either mini-USB cable or micro-USB cable.
Update the software of the Garmin device.
- Connect your Garmin Device and your system. For this, you have to use the USB cable.
- Open the Garmin Express application.
- Select your Garmin device from the list of the added devices.
- On the home screen of the Garmin Express application, you will get the “Updates Available” section.
- Under this section, click the “View Details” option.
- By doing so, you will get a list of all the updates available on your device.
- From the list, select the software updates and tap the “Install” option.
- In the next window, you will get a License Agreement window. Read the whole document and click the “Accept” button.
- Then, read the instructions and click the “Continue” tab.
- By doing so, the update will begin installing on your device.
Make sure you have selected the correct device in MapSource
- In the MapSource application, you have to click the “Transfer Menu” option.
- Select “Send to Device”.
- Then, tap the inverted triangle which is located under the Find Device tab.
- Select your device from the list. In case you won’t find your device in the list. Then, it means that your unit or driver is not installed correctly.
Reinstall the USB Driver
- Firstly, open a web browser.
- Now, visit the support page of Garmin and download the USB Driver setup file on your system.
- Then, double-click the downloaded setup file.
- You might get the User Account Control pop-up box. Here, click the “Yes” tab and allow the application to make the desired changes on your device.
- Now, the installer will start extracting the files.
- After that, click the “Next” tab in the welcome window.
- Read the End-User License Agreement and click the checkbox to accept the terms and conditions.
- Click the “Next” tab.
- The installation process will begin.
- In the process completion message window, click the “Finish” tab.
Hence, this solutions solve the Garmin Error Message : “There was an error communicating with your GPS” in MapSource Problem.